For as long as I can remember I've loved reading. The thought of spending an afternoon lounging on the couch with a great book thrills me. Of course, it's been quite sometime since I've enjoyed that luxury. But, as I'm sure it is with many of you...I find ways to read. I might be reading a recipe book, the newspaper (which if you're talking about the Beloit paper takes about 12.5 seconds to cover front to back), newsletters from organizations or a book. I read if I happen to sit down for breakfast alone, which happens on occasion. I read while I make dinner...I can read while blow drying my hair...but to read while curling my hair is a challenge...I had to draw the line there. And, yes, I read in the bathroom. I like to read before I go to sleep, but found that I wasn't remembering very much so I don't like to do "heavy" reading then. Anyway, I just finished the book "The Shack". I know several of you have read it or are currently. I am still thinking and processing but I plan to blog about it soon. In the meantime, I'd love to know your thoughts if you're familiar with it.
Some of you know that over the past year Lily has taken an interest in reading about The Holocaust. She has read a few books that I couldn't have read until I was much older...that is one of those topics that I was dreading having to teach the girls about but Lily made it easy for me. There are some excellent books available that portray well what happened but are less graphic than so many of them. In the next week or two I will recommend a few of these books and a DVD we rented from Netflix that was inspiring. I am currently reading a book titled "Hiding to Survive". It is about Jewish children who were hidden during WWII and the people who risked their lives to protect them. After each short story I read I ask myself..."would you have risked your life and the lives of your loved ones to do the same?"
Hmmmmmmmm...
2 comments:
I was so glad to read your post today! I have fallen back in love with reading again...now that my baby is about to turn 4 on Monday (Whaaa!)I did read The Shack. I actually started reading it last September, JUST BEFORE we were going to be going on our camping vacation. I had to stop...couldn't do it and in fact gave the book away. Anyways...I bought another and picked-up my reading after the horrific first third of the book. I am so glad I did get back into reading it! I really liked so much about it...too much to talk about via computer. :)
I was also glad to read your post b/c today Tom and I had a talk about when we would start lifting our parental censorship on the books Grace picked out to read. (She LOVES to read as well)I am so grateful that she has never given us a difficult time when she has been told "no" on books. BUT yesterday while at the library one of her co-op friends was there at the same time and told her about the Lemony Snicket, or how ever you say his name. When she later showed me the book I had to tell her I wasn't comfortable with her reading it. She did give a little sigh but put it back without great resistance. I know at some point we will have to allow her to make the choice on her own, but Tom and I continue to feel like we need to continue to guide her for a few more years.
Anyways, Grace is currently reading Number the Stars for her co-op book club and is really enjoying it. It is her first introduction to the holocaust. I am looking forward to the other books and movie that you will be recommending since I know Grace is currently interested in this.
Okay, should have made this an email instead of a comment. Sorry. :)
Jennifer
I will be waiting (as well as your Mom) to get your opinion of this book,regarding Lily and her fascination with her current subject of interest, i know her big cousin Josh read "The Diary of Anne Frank" quite a few times as well as other material on the subject She will learn alot. Love to all
Post a Comment