As some of you know we've been studying the skeletal system in science. It's fun because both of the girls can learn together even though the level of work they do is different. Gracie is making a special booklet of all she is learning...it's called a lapbook. (Maybe I'll post some pictures when it's finished.) The other day I came across the idea of doing a survey to find 20 people and ask if they've ever broken a bone. I gave the assignment to both of the girls. Lily had to ask the question and record which bone was broken if the answer was yes. Then she will have to list the official names of the bones, in alphabetical order, in cursive and anything else that I can add to it because that's what homeschooling moms do to their children!
Gracie had to simply ask the question and record yes or no on the form. My goal for her was to give her something specific to stay focused on long enough to get an answer. We all certainly know that she doesn't really need help with social interaction. So while Lily was at her sewing lesson, Gracie and I went to the library here in town. She jumped out of the van with clipboard and paper in hand ready to get to work. There weren't many people there, but she managed to find two...one who works there and another student who I think was asleep until Gracie approached her. When we were done reading some books I went to the desk to check out our materials and Gracie wandered in a few different directions. After a minute or two, I realized that she was in conversation with someone...and I could hear words like "bone", "broken", "science", etc. Good for her I thought...as I picked up our pile of books she came running to the desk exclaiming that she had someone she'd like me to meet. Probably a cute, little elderly person I thought. So I followed her and discovered a young, nice looking man who was working at a table with his laptop. As I entered the room, he stood up and extended his hand and said, "it's nice to meet you, Jennifer." Gracie took over from there...she told me he hadn't broken any bones and then told him that my husband's name was Tim and that we got married and had two babies together and then she took ahold of my hand and showed him the wedding ring my husband gave me! I'm certain by this time my face was red...and my one goal became getting out of there before she thought it might be nice to explain to him all about breastfeeding which has been a hot topic around here lately because she just can't believe that's how she ate when she was a baby. It truly mystifies her!
It turns out this man is a substitute at the Catholic school here in town. He was very kind and got quite a kick out of her...
You know, some people have concerns about homeschoolers not having the opportunity to socialize...they should spend a day with Gracie!
2 comments:
How funny that Gracie is!!!
"Then she will have to list the official names of the bones, in alphabetical order, in cursive and anything else that I can add to it because that's what homeschooling moms do to their children!"
How true...not to mention it gave me such a good giggle because of the truth spoken here. Oh, you crack me up, Jennifer! :)
Love ya!
Jennifer M.
Gracie reminds me so very much of Tim when he was a little boy, she is just a joy to know. Love you all
Post a Comment