Psalm 121:1-2

"I lift my eyes up to the hills-where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord, the maker of heaven and earth." Psalm 121:1-2



Monday, September 15, 2008


It has been a beautiful day here in Kansas and I'm so thankful...last week was so gloomy and rainy! It looks like it should be a great week weather wise.
As I mentioned, I thought I would write about Gracie tonight. Hopefully the pictures will get posted correctly. They say so much...just by themselves. Gracie has started Kindergarten work this year and much as I suspected isn't too thrilled with the schedule. Somedays she'll say to me, "I don't think I'll do any schoolwork today, O.K. Mom?" Sometimes, it's the first thing out of her mouth and she might still be in bed when she says it! Anyway, she has done well and I am pleased with the work she has accomplished. When the girls and I are doing a subject together like science or Bible or history...Gracie often wants to take over and do a little teaching of her own. You can imagine this is rather entertaining and sometimes I let her go on for a minute before I remind her that she's not in charge. I'll now share with you the "Gracie Story of the Week." (Maybe this will become a regular post. : ) Last week, Gracie began mentioning at bedtime that she really wanted to put cucumbers on her eyes. We finally realized that this stemmed from the movie "The Emperor's New Groove", a very funny, animated movie. Anyway, one of the characters is shown with cucumber slices on her eyes while sleeping. I bought a cucumber at the store because I knew if I didn't let her get this out of her system, it could go on and on. So last night, after I had tucked her in and was leaving her room she said, "Mom, I noticed a cucumber in the kitchen. Could I have two pieces for my eyes?" I told her, "yes, you can!" I returned with two thin slices and placed them on her eyes. I told her she couldn't move though or they'd fall off...I kissed her good night and left the room. I peeked back into her room several times over the next 1/2 hour and there she was...still as could be with those slices on her eyes! Finally, after at least 30 minutes she called to me and said, "Mom, I think I'm done with these cucumbers now." I took them from her, kissed her good night AGAIN, and closed the door. I did manage to get a picture though...her room was dark when I took it. Too funny! She didn't mention the cucumbers at all today.
Gracie is a bundle of energy and has such a different perspective on life compared to me. As we entered the church building a month or two ago, a VERY elderly, adorable woman was coming out of the doors as we were going in. Gracie and I held the door for her and right on cue, Gracie said, "Wow! You sure are old!" (gasp!) She wasn't being rude...just stating the facts. The little woman said to her..."Gracie, you sure have a real zest for life, don't you?" I looked at her and said, "is that what you call that?"
She is a gem though and even though she exasperates me sometimes, I usually can't get enough of her!

1 comment:

Debbra Ward said...

Hi Jen,

Oh my gosh!!!!! My Zachary does the same thing. He has no ability or desire to censor what comes out of his mouth. He notices everything about people and says it right out loud. Example, "mom she is fat and that dress is ugly". He says things loudly and thinks the person he is discussing needs to hear whatever he says. When i talk to him about not saying things like that he says, "I'm just saying' He really does have a pure and innocent heart and is not mean he just believes the "truth" should be spoken. Can you imagine him and Gracie in the same room!!!!