Happy September!
Tim's Mom, who the girls call "Omi", is currently flying back home to North Carolina after spending a week with us here in Kansas. We decided it might be fun to take a short trip while she was here so we hopped in the van last Wednesday and drove to De Smet, South Dakota. You might wonder why De Smet? De Smet is also known as "Little Town on the Prairie" and was home to Laura Ingalls Wilder for many years. We had a wonderful time and learned so much about Laura, her family and the pioneer way of life. It fit perfectly with our current study in history. I highly recommend visiting there! I will list a few websites if you'd like to take a peek yourself...and I'm trying REALLY hard to learn how to post pictures of our own from the computer! (Keep checking back!)
We had a great visit with Omi, and are thankful for the memories we made. I think her favorite part of the trip was having to guess, several times coming and going, how many miles we'd driven since leaving home. This is something Tim has enjoyed torturing me with ever since we started dating! FYI...it's 399 miles from our street to De Smet.
3 comments:
Jen, Trust this finds you all doing well. We are doing fine here. Keeping busy -- as usual. Just celebrated my birthday this past weekend with the family. Another day and year older!! How's the family doing? Saw your picture -- can't believe that the girls are getting sooooo BIG!! How time sure does fly!! Sure do miss seeing you all. Kids first week of school was interesting. They only had 3 out of the 5 days due to Fay. Their first FULL week of school last week was a good one though. Kaela is one of the school crossing guards in the morning, and has to be there by 7:55 am. I am volunteering at least twice a week (maybe more). Will see what happens after I go to the dr's office on Monday 9/8 and see what he says about my having 2 seizures twice a month. And if I am to have an EEG (that I haven't had done in over 5 years). Lord willing, since the seizures have increased since I last saw him, he will do something about the meds and either change them or increase them!! I WANT SOME ACTION!!
Guess that's all for now. Take care, and will keep in touch. Karen for all
It was great to catch up with you and the family on your blog. The visit to the Laura Ingalls Wilder home sounded like fun. I think I would really enjoy that. We visited South Dakota two years ago, but only in the Rapid City area, which we loved, also. I was interested to check out your weather - it sounds wonderful for this time of year. We are dealing with hot and hurricanes, so your
50's to 70's sounds great. Also enjoyed your pictures - the girls are growing up! Our new pastor is due to arrive soon and will officially start on Sept. 21st, I think. We are trusting that he is God's choice for us and that we will unite and grow under his leadership. We love you guys and still miss you bunches!! Betty
What was actually funnier then guessing the mileage is that Omi found herself with lights out at 9:30 pm (we shared a room) I am an avid reader and usually I do not close the book I am reading untill midnight - so lights out at 9:30 was really interesting.
Post a Comment