Psalm 121:1-2

"I lift my eyes up to the hills-where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord, the maker of heaven and earth." Psalm 121:1-2



Tuesday, January 26, 2010


I love going to garage sales. (I'm thinking of starting a side bar that will list my great deals when garage sale season starts again!) My parents also enjoy finding bargains at garage sales...it's something I actually love to do when we visit them! They often find treasures for us throughout the year so I'll tell you about one now. Sometime last year, they bought (I don't know how much they paid) the William-Sonoma Snowman Cake Pan at a garage sale. The store price tag was 34.95. I was somewhat intimidated by the detail of the pan...so many nooks and crannies...could I ever grease and flour it well enough to bring out the detail? So, after working up my nerve, we tried it. I did NOT follow the recipe on the directions...a bit risky yes...but instead used a cake mix I had on hand. It worked well although in the baking process our snowman acquired a rather large bottom, so I had to do a little "trimming" after it had cooled. (Wouldn't it be nice if we could "trim" that easily?) We used icing to put the two halves together and stood him up on a pile of snow. (icing) I wasn't sure I wanted to take on the entire decorating with icing option so we dusted him with powdered sugar instead. It was quite tasty! I'm glad we did it. If anyone wants to borrow the pan...feel free. It weighs a ton and would cost a fortune to mail so you'll have to visit to get it! :)

2 comments:

keeper said...

love your cake pan! I saw a bee hive cake pan that I was craving in a Martha catalog before she was carted off to prison. So adorable. But alas my baking days are over due to flour & sugar allergies and the cake recipe that I created probably won't hold. .. soooo living vicariously through you!!!! =)

Anonymous said...

I love your snowman! And I love the effect the powdered sugar has on him...looks like snow! How fun!