One thing that I love doing during the month of December is listening to Christmas carols. Steven Curtis Chapman has a great recording of "I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day". I don't think this is one of the more popular Christmas hymns, so you may not be as familiar with it. Have you ever heard all the verses? I was listening to the song the other day and was moved by the words particularly because of the current state of our world. Now, what's funny about that is that when God chose to send His Son to earth as a baby...the world was in pretty bad shape. There was disease, sickness, hunger, war, abuse of every kind, broken relationships, broken people....you name it...it was there. Sounds a lot like our world today. In many ways, the world hasn't changed much. So, where am I going with this you may be wondering. : ) After listening to the words of the song I was encouraged and remembered that no matter what is going on in our world, God is aware, that nothing takes Him by surprise and that His plan is what will prevail. Be encouraged my friend! God's promises are real and He's never broken one! (verses 1, 3 and 4)
I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day
I heard the bells on Christmas Day
Their old familiar carols play,
And wild and sweet the words repeat
Of peace on earth, good will to men.
And in despair I bowed my head,
"There is no peace on earth," I said,
"For hate is strong, and mocks the song
Of peace on earth, good will to men."
Yet pealed the bells more loud and deep
God is not dead, nor does He sleep:
The wrong shall fail, the right prevail,
With peace on earth, good will to men.
Merry Christmas!
1 comment:
Interesting how God works through the hymns - while I was looming Christmas bells for the season, this very hymn came to mind for the very same reason of hope and a steadfastness in a time where many feel no hope.
I did a little research on this song a few weeks ago and have meant to write about it. Time is precious and I have a lot of wishes to accomplish!
I found that the fav poet Henry W Longfellow wrote this poem back on Christmas 1864 during the Amer. Civil War. There are two stanzas 4&5 (7 stanzas in all) that are usually omitted from the hymnals today. They speak of the utter despear of a country torn by a battle within. For me it really made my heart cry a little and rejoice all the more.
I just feel this hymn so much this Christmas and it I am moved that others feel it too! I am not sure if the church bells will ring this Christmas in this town. I wish I were outside at Grace to hear the bells!
Post a Comment